Monday, August 10, 2009

Writing Progress Bar

Good afternoon, readers. I cannot promise that this post will be nearly entertaining as the last one. It's merely a slow-going afternoon, not an insomnia fueled nighttime rambling.
So why am I blogging? That is an excellent question. What is blogging? Well, whenever I'm too lazy to do actual research on a particular topic, I take a quick trip to wikipedia. "A blog ( a contractions of the term "weblog") is a type of website, usually maintained by an individual with regular entries of commentary, descriptions of events, or other material such as graphics or video."
Now that we know what a blog is, let's drawn on what we know about blog stereotypes to try and discover my inner motive for writing one.
Possible Motives (purely theoretical)
  • to publicize my dark inner feelings, emotional outbursts and display vivid images of bleeding hearts that represent my own.
  • to criticize celebrities, politics and the human race in general: make loud and accusing remarks that no one would ever have to balls to say in person.
  • to document an average day in the life of an American housewife; post pictures of my children and chat about their mischievous antics
Wow, too many cliches, I think I just threw up a little. And no, none of those hypotheses are correct. The real reason has to do with insomnia, boredom and an influx of creative juices. When I'm not busy acting, singing, performing, reading, adventuring, etc., I like to spend my time writing. As I write on the computer, I find myself constantly distracted by Facebook and Failblog and such other time consuming, soulless sites. I decided to try my hand at productivity and write about everything, and nothing, at the same time.

You may have noticed a fancy little progress bar in the right hand corner of the page. The project currently in progress in currently called "My First Novel." No, I am not writing a children's book. My novel, (an epic fantasy) is currently unnamed. For years, I have had visions of characters and complex world settings that have just begged me to commit them to paper and publish them in a book. If you know me well, you may have already read a few of my short stories. About a month ago, I wrote yet another short story, unlike any other I had written in years. It's a new twist on an old Norse legend, and I named it "Berserkergang". It's in the genre of EPIC FANTASY and it has potential to actually be finished. The progress bar denotes the progress I've made towards the first draft. Typical Epic Fantasy novels run pretty long, about 200k words. I've written about 6k. That's 3%. So now you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment